Made an asset for the project. Was a learning experience, not just in matters of basic modelling, rigging and skinning, but also just in general project management tools as – 1. there was already a model sheet drawn that I ultimately ended up replicating almost identically as I simply failed to look for the original in the drive folder in the fist place and – 2. I needed a reminder at first to stick to naming conventions, which for each subsequent update I did.
That aside, this was the first time I used a CAT rig, and I think I did an alright job with it. Had the fundamentals explained in class, followed up by a more thorough tutorial from my brother at home. Prior to that I watched a couple of tutorials online, one of them embedded below, but I seem to pick things up faster with a personal touch.
Again most of the skinning knowledge I got from this was passed on by Lachlan. The fundamental I grasped from it was try to align bone seperation to edged joints, keeping sections where one bone has total control skinned to a value of one and dividing influence as appropriate at joints between the bones either side. Everything came out moving as intended from what I trialed so I feel I have at least a passable grasp of the fundamentals now. We’ll see when I go to animate my human character model later, anyway.