Given that my process for developing 3d animation this trimester has been somewhat rushed, there haven’t been all that many situations in which I progressed my work in an iterative fashion, and it shows. In regards to the animation cycles I’ve produced for the studio 1 games project ‘Sugar Crash’ I did seek feedback from fellow student Kate on occasion. In particular she assisted me in tweaking the animation for the sugar rush extreme run-cycle, which lead to a definite improvement in the positioning of the character’s legs which I could previously only define as jank.

In retrospect applying an iterative workflow would greatly benefit the quality of the animations I produce, beginning with a clear plan and references for the movement, blocking out the primary poses as stepped keyframes, then dividing those with lesser extremes, breakdowns, then down to inbetweens. Then the iterative revision of parts, examining the work myself in addition to seeking advise from my peers as to how I might improve the result, gaining the insight only the discerning eye of another party can provide.

Below is an example from Autodesk Maya of the workflow I’ll aim to incorporate in all my animation work in future, detailing the process as outlined above.

Though my experience is such matters is also still somewhat limited, and I’ll confess to blundering several extremely straightforward 3d animating concepts in 3DS Max, I did eventually come to understand fairly well the application of blending animations in the program. Learned through several somewhat confusing, and eventually one very straightforward, videos on youtube (note to self, use digital tutors more), I did eventually add blended animations to the production of the game. Small victory, though it certainly made me feel more confident with the program.

Diverting I feel I learned the most this trimester in application of creating human models, primarily by making every mistake in the book. I’ve made models with topology that cause shoulder-caving, knee-crushing and skirt-ingesting. I’ve made a woman with the face of a brick which I summarily replaced with a porcelain doll. My texture work has varied from the ultra shiny to the dullest drab. Maybe it’s because I have a habit of making every mistake in the book at least once, but I really do feel it was a learning experience. My models where broken and my rigs shoddy, and the animation left a fair bit to be desired. But I recognize this is mostly due to time taken and opportunities for consultation squandered, facets to improve upon in everything I do in the future.

At the end of the day I have something to show at least, even if it’s not pretty.


Perez, K. (2015). KeyPoses and Breakdowns-Animation Blocking. Retrieved from